Thursday, January 8, 2015

Thursday- that means a prompt!

Good morning friends!!!!
Yesterday I played with pine cones. I think they're fascinating but I can't paint them. I really WANT to but they never turn out right. I think they are a really cool symbol of a lot of things so it's probably something you are going to see pop up in my work here and there.
Fun fact of the day...
Did you know that pine cones close up to protect their seeds when it's going to rain? So if you are ever in the woods, wondering if it's going to rain and you see a bunch of closed pine cones, chances are you are going to get wet.

Ok, so I mentioned before that I belong to a group that is doing some art journaling which is new for me, because I've always just been a sketchbook kind of girl who keeps a diary to write in. We get prompts every week to help us on our adventure.
I am mulling over this weeks so that I know where I want to dive in.
I did pick a quote for this weeks page yesterday as well. 
    “Go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here. Make. Good. Art.” ~Neil Gaiman
I think that will be a fun one to work with, I'm fantastic at making what I initially view as mistakes, that often turn out to be exactly what I end up liking best about something! I also just mess up a lot :D

I promised that on Thursdays I would come up with a prompt for you to use if you'd like, or to not.... entirely up to you!

Today, I'd like to encourage you to find a "mistake" in your creative world and change it. Maybe it's a drawing/painting you discarded some time ago, perhaps a technique that you gave up on... a dinner you burnt several times...

Something. Whatever you thought of when you read my little prompt there, that's the thing you should think about working on today!

So, once you have your mistake, how can you turn it into something besides a frustration? Zentangle likes to say there are no mistakes... one of the hardest concepts for me to grasp when I see something on my page that I don't love, but let's embrace it and find a way to turn it into something amazing!


I have a piece of paper that I was going to make a mandala on, I don't know why I kept it because nearly my first mark, my pen exploded. 

It'll be fun to see what I can make out of that.

7 comments:

  1. I didn't see your prompt until after I had created a tile, so no mistake to fix (just a tile for the Muster Mixer challenge http://bit.ly/146Llsv). I like your idea though because a number of times my "mistakes" have lead to some lovely fun and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to find something with mistakes but there are no mistakes in Zentangle. Just kidding! I am constantly going back and making little improvements on my tangles. Nothing big but it can make a difference. That is interesting about the pine-cones. I'll have to observe them closer next time we are in east Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a piece I just finished, based on a Ben Kwok template. I just love doing these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a picture to post of my creatI've work...well I will have one that I will share, but I have been working on finishing my travel art journal from our family Christmas trip. It's about 1/2 done and looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My creativity had to be channeled into my lesson planning for school tonight. Wish I could have drawn or painted or something more fun but duty calls! Maybe I will try this prompt over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read your prompt after I created my post and realized that I had completed half the challenge. Not only did I find a mistake today, but I created that mistake today and that's what I posted about. Tomorrow I will change that mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope my link worked; it's my first time using a link from Pinterest. Please let me know if it doesn't work!

    ReplyDelete